While there is no denying that Photoshop can work wonders for photos that are taken at professional photo shoots, the role of a makeup artist is still vital to the success of any campaign. Every shoot should have an MUA, especially when you can find one for free.
Why an MUA is Crucial!
Take a look at some of the reasons why your photo shoot cannot go without a professional makeup artist.
- Cameras tend to clear away at least half of the coverage and makeup that a model wears, especially if it is not applied properly and of poor quality. However, if you have a makeup artist on hand, she typically knows some of the best products on the market and knows that caking on makeup isn’t the answer. Instead, she will take her time to provide more coverage and throw in some color that will make the model standout in every photo.
- Using Photoshop on all the imperfections of the skin, whether it is acne, dark circles or bags under the eyes, will take hours to do. An MUA can help to eliminate many of these marks that you want to hide.
- Models tend to enter into a photo shoot more comfortable and more confident when they have had their face ‘put on’ by a professional. Many think of it as an opportunity to get pampered and have their beauty truly stand out. You can certainly see the difference when comparing photos of women who did their own makeup versus those who had a professional apply theirs.
Getting an MUA
Part of the challenge that most face when searching for a photo shoot MUA is that they fail to realize that beauticians don’t do makeup and that not all makeup artists do hair either. However, if you can find one that does have experience in the other you can save yourself a whole lot of time. Take a look at some of the ways you can find an MUA.
- Through MUA schools – Remember that students are always searching for experience for their portfolio, so this is a great place to start when looking for an MUA, especially one that is free.
- Online – There are several online resources that can point you to talented MUAs. For instance, Model Mayhem allows you to search in your area for an MUA that has the experience and background you are looking for. It will even help you to find some that want to work for money, or simply want a copy of the photos taken to add to their portfolio.
- Sales pros – Every so often you will find a company that has sales reps who are trained in makeup, such as Mary Kay. However, keep in mind that even though these reps aren’t allowed to charge, many of them are not makeup artists, so you have to be weary of which ones you work with.
- Pay!! – If you want to avoid the headache and not think about the makeup on a shoot, then your best bet is to hire an experienced MUA for money. When you work with someone who knows what they are doing you don’t have to deal with mistakes and inexperience quite as often.
Now that you know why you need an MUA and how you can get one for your next shoot, start looking now! Never underestimate the value of a great makeup artist.